March 23, 2018

Improvised explosive device detonated on Tube train in London

17 September 2017, 02:13 | Taylor George

Some services have been suspended

Some services have been suspended

The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the attack.

Met chief Cressida Dick later told Sky News the force had made "considerable progress" in its investigation into the explosion, which happened during the Friday morning rush hour as the District Line train was pulling into the west London station.

In a statement, the States police said: 'Following a decision at a Cobra meeting yesterday evening and the announcement of the Prime Minister, the national threat level has been raised to critical - which means an attack is expected imminently.

Following the attack, Prime Minister Theresa May announced the United Kingdom terrorism threat level was raised from "severe" to "critical.' 'Critical" is the highest threat level.

At "critical" level soldiers and armed police are deployed to secure strategic sites and hunt down the perpetrators of an imminent attack.

As per the latest updated the British police and the Scotland Yard's counter-terrorism squad, investigating the attack, on Saturday, said that they had arrested an 18-year-old boy caught up doing moves described as insignificant.

He is being held at a local police station, and will now be transferred to a police station in south London.

Nursing Home Says It Contacted Scott 'Multiple Times' Before Patients Died
As a precaution, Hollywood police officers were checking on the 42 other assisted-living facilities and nursing homes in the area. Sharief confirmed during a news conference that three residents died at the center and two died at the hospital.

China can't stop India from developing Northeast, says Amit Shah
The document, however, had made no specific mention of any investments in Arunachal Pradesh. Abe said the two sides had agreed upon a Japan-India investment support road map.

'Power, power, power': Millions in Florida swelter through outages after Irma
The crews will travel to communities and work until residences and businesses in those areas are hooked back up to the power grid. More than 118,500 customers had been restored by Friday morning - 19 percent of its service - but 33,000 were still out of power.

18-year-old arrested in Dover, but terror threat level remains at critical. She said that "the public should go about their daily lives but remain vigilant".

Friday's device reportedly contained the explosive triacetone triperoxide (TATP) and nails, but is thought to have only partially detonated from inside a bucket.

"This arrest will lead to more activity from our officers", he continued.

The station reopened in the early hours of Saturday. Police now say 30 people "are known to have been injured" in what they call a terrorist attack.

The main device, which had been fitted with a crude timer using shop-bought fairy lights, failed to detonate, meaning hundreds of people were spared death and serious injury.

Detectives have spoken to 45 witnesses as part of their investigation and continue to take information via a confidential anti-terrorist hotline, police said.

Other News

Trending Now

Catalan mayors defiant over independence vote pressure
The mayors met Catalonia's regional head Carles Puigdemont in a show of defiance at the rally. "We will not be intimidated". Spanish police on Saturday seized printing materials meant to support and promote the referendum near Barcelona.

Coutinho unsure if Reds have future agreement with Barca
It is a great honour to have received an offer from such a great club - but it's the same here. That is unlikely to be the case, but the Reds are bracing themselves for interest nonetheless.

Plunkett and Rashid lead England fight back in Windies T20
However, Alex Hales (43) smashed eight fours and a six and took England to 64-1 inside the first batting powerplay. The India match saw Lewis make a superb 125 not out.

At least four killed in traffic collision in British south Gloucestershire
The lorry that has slammed has hit what M5 workers will know as a well-known historic point, a windsock beside the street. He said drivers who had been stuck on the carriageway for a few hours were in effect "extremely supportive".